Let’s make soup!
Three Sisters Soup Recipe:
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cups canned Great Northern Beans
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large pot with lid
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups (dry and liquid)
- Can opener
- Rinse produce with cool water.
- Peel, quarter and de-seed squash. Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Peel carrot. Chop carrot, onion, celery.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Add broth, squash, and spices and bring to a slow boil.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add corn, beans and salt to taste. Return to simmer and cook 5 minutes more.
Recipe by Michigan State University Extension