Let’s make sweet potato bars!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- Mixing spoon
- Potato masher
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Oven mitts
- 13”x 9”x 2” Baking pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Microwave-safe plate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub sweet potatoes under running water. Poke holes in potatoes with a fork. Cook in the microwave for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Remove skins of potatoes. Place sweet potato and sugar in large mixing bowl: mash until smooth.
- Add oil, yogurt, and egg to the sweet potato mixture; mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, measure and mix flours, oatmeal, baking soda, and spices; mix well.
- Add dry ingredient mixture to sweet potato mixture; stir just enough to combine.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to mix.
- Spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan; smooth out batter evenly in pan and place pan on middle rack in oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut into bars (4 cuts by 8 cuts) and remove from pan. Cool before serving.
Recipe by USDA Food and Nutrition Service